[Bulletin Board Index | Archived Posts Index | Patient Community]

broke and cant pay the mortgage

Author Subject: broke and cant pay the mortgage
jeff Posted At 17:09:43 08/29/2002
hi i have no kidneys i had both removed i jan 2002 im wondering if anybody knows a way to make some money i have never asked for help before and am a little embarassed to be doing it now but ive run my credit cards into the ground and cant seem to find a job that will work around my dialisis i have 6 and 15 year old boys i couldnt even afford to buy them new cloths for school it makes me feel like im not a man any more im at my wits end my income and my bills dont add up i need about 800 dollars more a month just to make the payments i have not including food or car insurance school pictures my car tires are bald and im so depressed i dont know what to do are there any programs or employment agents that could help me?
Nancy Re: broke and cant pay the mortgage (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 00:31:17 09/01/2002

Jeff,
I'm so sorry to hear of your financial difficulties. I know how hard it is. I was a single mother on dialysis with 2 children.

Beth will be writing you soon and she knows more about recent programs regarding work for dialysis patients than I do.

Have you applied for Social Security Disability? They have funding for kidney patients and could help you until you find work.

However, you might want to check with the DVR or Division of Vocational Rehabilitation office in your area. There are new information and guidelines out for people with kidney disease. Councelors at the DVR office can help you go to school and find work.

Is there a social worker at you dialysis center? Social worker often have information on places you can go for help.

Have you asked about evening dialysis for patients who work? Have you asked about home dialysis? With home dialysis, you can dialyze longer and feel better, BUT ON YOUR OWN SCHEDULE.

If your center doesn't have social workers, evening dialyis or home dialysis, you could check around to see if there are other centers in your area that offer this.
Hang in there. Beth will have some more, really good ideas, she has for everyone else in the forum.
Nancy (nurse and kidney patient)
Beth Witten Re: broke and cant pay the mortgage (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 23:45:05 09/02/2002

Hi Jeff,
Like Nancy said, if you haven't talked with your social worker, he or she may have some ideas of agencies in your area that can provide short-term emergency financial assistance. However, it sounds like you need to make changes that will help you long-term.

More facilities are prioritizing shifts for patients who work or are in vocational rehabilitation. Talk with the nurse manager or administrator about your situation and ask whether your facility can change your schedule to help you find and keep a job. If not, ask the administrator or your doctor if your clinic or an associated one offers home dialysis (hemodialysis or peritoneal dialysis). Home patients only need to come to a clinic once or twice a month, so you might be able to consider driving farther for training and follow-up.

Find out if there is a non-profit credit counseling organization in your area. These agencies help people like you consolidate debts, negotiate payments with creditors, and avoid bankruptcy. Generally, these agencies advise cutting up credit cards to avoid adding more to debt.

To find a job, talk with a counselor at your state vocational rehabilitation agency (number in the government section of your phone book. Making application and getting services take time but it may give you more options and higher earning capacity. The VR agency may be part of your one-stop employment and training service center. You can find out where this is by calling 1-877-US-2JOBS or looking on www.servicelocator.org/.

If you receive Social Security Disability Insurance or Supplemental Security Income, you may have received a "ticket" from Social Security to get employment services from an "employment network" in your area. If you haven't heard about this, you will. Only 13 states came under this program in the first half of 2002. Another 21 states will be added in late 2002, and the rest will be added in 2003. You can read about this program at www.yourtickettowork.com.

Social Security has a number of work incentive programs that help people with disabilities. You can learn about this at www.ssa.gov/work/. I'd suggest you look at the "beneficiaries" section and look for the 2002 Red Book on Employment Support at www.ssa.gov/work/ResourcesToolkit/redbook_page.html.

Good luck!
gary Re: broke and cant pay the mortgage (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 14:36:59 11/30/2002

I too am on kidney dialysis and cant work...I have applied for disability,but it says it can take up to 180 days before i hear anything...Im at my wits end,and dont know how Im going to make all the bills..any info would be helpful..Thanks
Beth Witten Re: broke and cant pay the mortgage (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 20:34:25 12/02/2002

Although you feel you can't work now, people that are on dialysis are more likely to be able to work if:
1) they get enough dialysis (Kt/V at least 1.2 or URR at least 65%; more is better)
2) their anemia is well controlled (hematocrit 33-36% or hemoglobin 11-12)
3) they are well nourished (albumin 4.0 or higher)
4) they exercise and become physically fit

While considering your work options and readying yourself physically, emotionally, and vocationally to return to work, you will probably need some source of income. You will likely get approved for disability faster than 180 days. However, there is a 5 month waiting period for Social Security Disability Income during which you get nothing. If your family has limited income and resources (savings, property, etc.), you may be eligible for Supplemental Security Income right away. Both SSDI and SSI have work incentive programs (see www.ssa.gov/work/).

In the meantime, if you have medical bills and limited income, you may be eligible for Medicaid. You can apply at your state welfare department.

If you have credit card bills, you might talk with the consumer credit counseling organization in your area. See www.nfcc.org/ for information.

Your dialysis social worker should be able to help you apply for financial help from the American Kidney Fund or find community agencies that may be able to offer temporary help.
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv Re: broke and cant pay the mortgage (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 22:42:15 02/27/2003

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

sorry

Go Back

Re: broke and cant pay the mortgage